2:00pm - 4:30pm Furzehill Mine WalkVenue: SX 515 696
Meet 2:00 pm at Horrabridge SX 515 696. Records of Furzehill Mine date from the C16 to 1879. It boasts openworks, early small shafts, as well as remains from the C19, including dressing floor and burning house. There is also evidence of an earlier stamping mill, close to our meet location.
No dogs will be allowed on the walk owing to the high number of small open shafts. The itinerary for the afternoon may change to allow for local conditions. Finish 4:30 pm.
If you would like to attend please phone or email walk leader Stephen Holley on 01752 880029 or chairmanATdtrg.org.uk.
click for email: chairman
10:30am - 4:00pm Combe Martin Silver MineVenue: SX 58892 46430
Meet at Mine Tenement, Bowhay Lane, Combe Martin EX34 OJN. The visit will last 4-5 hours. This is an opportunity to visit Mine Tenement, believed to be the site of Fayes Mine, one of the few sites in the SW offering underground mine visits. It is one of the celebrated Kings mines of Combe Martin, first documented in 1292 and closing in 1880 when it became unviable. Combe Martin Silver Mine Research And Preservation Society has been working since 1991 to preserve and restore the workings (www.combemartinminers.co.ukl).
Access to the mine is via a set of 14 ladders down a shaft, so a reasonable level of fitness and sturdy footware required, as is a change of clothing. Some helmets and headlights are available, but if members bring own equipment it would be appreciated. Please bring a packed lunch.
Contact Steve Atkins on Send email before 24 August with address and equipment availability, so that he can organise lift sharing and arrange extra equipment if necessary.
click for email: Steve Atkins
1:30pm - 5:00pm DTRG Social Walk - Tamar Valley Tin MinesVenue: SX 439 727
Afternoon Walk: meet at Tamar Trails car park (SX 439 727). The Tamar Valley mines on the Devon side of the river have been well researched by Robert Waterhouse and Rick Stewart. The history of the mines and details of the remains are well presented in the recent book The Tavistock Canal: Its History and Archaeology, part-funded by DTRG. Rick Stewart, author and mine expert, will lead the walk, which aims to visit a number of tin mines south of Gunnislake New Bridge Ding Dong Mine, Wheal Tamar/South Bedford, East Wheal Luscombe, South Wheal Luscombe, and Wheel Impham. We will be meeting at the Tamar Trails car park for onward travel (car share) to the smaller South Bedford car park.
6:00pm - 9:00pm DTRG Evening SocialVenue: Union Inn in King Street, Tavistock
After the tour we will be meeting at the Union Inn in King Street, Tavistock, for a meal. after which Rick will give a presentation on some of the other mines of the Tamar Valley. The inn does not have a car park, so street parking or the use of nearby car parks will be necessary. The meal is booked for 6:00 pm and will cost £10 per head. There is a choice of Chicken Curry. Cottage Pie or Vegetable Lasagne.
Booking for the walk and/or meal with choices to chairmanATdtrg.org.uk by 12 October. Send cheques payable to DTRG to S. Holley, 32 Yeo Park, Yealmpton, Plymouth, Devon PL8 2LP.
click for email: chairman