Category: Articles

  • West Beam Calciner

    West Beam Calciner

    Photo 1: This photo shows the well constructed opening at the end of the calciner adjoining the cottage which was used for retrieving the burnt ore which would have been raked out from an opening to the left not now intact. Behind the substantial lintel is the separate sump referred to in the text. Above…

  • The Condition Of Mines In Great Britain

    Minutes Of Evidence Taken Before The Commission Appointed To Inquire Into The Condition Of Mines In Great Britain Ashburton Thursday 28th May 1863 Mr William Hosking Examined QUESTION: ANSWER: Of what mine have you charge? West Beam. How many men are employed there? About 160 are employed underground and on the surface. About how many…

  • Tinners on Dartmoor

    Above are photos show examples of: various tinners’ remains, including “streamworks”, “openworks”, “lodeback workings”. Associated with streamworks are buildings called “tinners’ huts” (also called “lodges”). To crush the ore “stamps” were used. The stamps smashed the tin ore on “mortar” stones, creating a fine ore powder. This was processed, in “buddles”, to separate off the…

  • Bal Mine

    The Dartmoor Tinworking Research Group (DTRG) were asked to survey an area south-east of Norsworthy Bridge at the eastern end of Burrator Reservoir by Southwest Lakes Trust (SWLT). The area is close to the car-park and includes a wheelpit, launder embankment, leat, stream work and many other features. Surveying an area to the south-east, that…

  • Walkham Valley Mines

    Walkham Valley Mines

    Geology The lodes worked occur in an area of clay-slates of Devonian age. Southwards towards Yelverton, these slates show signs of Metamorphism. Some 600-700 ft north of the workings is a large elvan dyke, which extends westwards to the Hingston Down-Gunnislake granite mass. General Information This article concerns four mines two of which were predominantly…

  • Westdown and Anderton mines

    Westdown and Anderton mines

    Westdown Mine West Down is situated north of the River Walkham and attempts to realise paying lodes between Lower Grenofen and the River Tavy were made around the 1840’s and 1850’s. The earliest documentation relating to this area dates to 1847 when some mining was being undertaken on the easterly extension of one of the…