Previous Events

Bagtor Clearance19.11.17 Bagtor Clearance
Export (iCal)
Start: 10:30 o’clockEnd: 15:30 o’clock
Calendar: GeneralLocation: SX 767 753

Meet at Bagtor Lodge Yard - see Newsletter 53 page 19 for details

'Harveys of Hayle'08.11.17 'Harveys of Hayle'
Export (iCal)
Start: 10:30 o’clockEnd: 16:00 o’clock
Calendar: GeneralLocation: Bridestowe Village Hall, Pool Hill, EX20 4EW
 
 

Harveys of Hayle, a talk by Kingsley Rickard

- Devonshire Association -

Industrial Archaeological Section


In 1779 John Harvey, a blacksmith from nearby by Carnhell Green established a small foundry and engineering works. By 1800 the company employed more than 50 people and continued to grow. Harveys formed partnerships with many of the great engineers and entrepreneurs of the day including Richard Trevithick, William West and Arthur Woolf.
The firm of Harvey & Co certainly built some of the best beam engines ever built which were set to work in both Cornish Mines and in mines worldwide. They also produced a range of products, from hand tools to ocean going ships including the Cornubia.
Cost £6 (non Devonshire Association members)
Lunch suggestion: The Fox and Hounds Hotel, Lydford, Devon EX20 4HF. Afternoon option: Stroll around Nodden Ball along part of the Rattlebrook railway.

 
DTRG Autumn Social28.10.17 DTRG Autumn Social
Export (iCal)
Start: 14:30 o’clockEnd: 21:00 o’clock
Calendar: GeneralLocation: Meet at Combestone Tor (SX 670 718)

The Autumn Walk and Social will visit Wheal Cumpston, the Aller Brook and Hangman's Pit. On the track down to Combestone Farm we will see an openwork that may be the site of Withybeame alias Collybeame mentioned in 1625. By kind permission of the Ingram family we will visit Wheal Cumpston, operating in the 1830s as part of the Dartmoor United Tin Mining Company. There are fascinating remains including dressing floors, a mine captain's house, adit etc., as well as a presumed medieval openwork which may have been working as Steepehill in 1625. We will then explore the Aller Brook and a possible site of an early tin mill, before making our way up to Hangman's Pit where a fine openwork and a tinners' lodge are visible.

The route is on tracks, in woodland and on rough moorland with some steep ground, so a moderate level of fitness is required, plus stout footwear and weatherproof gear. Total distance 3-4 km. If time permits, the Saddle Bridge Turbine House (1905-7), which supplied Hexworthy Mine with electricity, will also be visited.

Leader Tom Greeves.

Following the walk we will be making our way to the Forest Inn at Hexworthy (SX 655 726) for the Social, which includes a meal followed by a presentation. The Forest Inn will be open at 5:30 pm, and the meal will be served at 6:00 pm. The meal costs £10 per head and this year we are having a sit-down roast dinner. The choices are: Beef, Lamb, Pork or Nut Roast (vegetarian option).

After the meal there will be a presentation by Brett Grist on 'Recent Mining Explorations'. Brett is one of our newer members and has worked in the mining industry both at home and abroad.

Stephen Holley (buddy32yp@gmail.com or 01752 880029) needs to know numbers for the walk and/or meal. Please would everyone wishing to attend the meal inform him of their choice by 19 October. Payment in advance is required. Please send a cheque for £10, made payable to the DTRG, to Stephen at 32 Yeo Park, Yealmpton, Devon PL8 2LP.

Wheal Sidney Mine and Wheal Julian Mine20.08.17 Wheal Sidney Mine and Wheal Julian Mine
Export (iCal)
Start: 14:00 o’clockEnd: 17:00 o’clock
Calendar: GeneralLocation: Meet at Cann Wood Forestry car park (SX 547 597)

Wheal Sidney was one of the more successful Dartmoor tin mines. It worked for 15 years, producing £25,000 worth of tin (360 tons) and employing 40-80 people. Wheal Julian was not a financial success but it has some interesting remains, including two chimneys, remains of calciners, waterwheel pits, the course of a tramway and earlier medieval openworks.

chimney

Both mines are situated in Fernhill Wood, which is commercial woodland owned by the Newnham Estate. There will be some rough walking and a steep descent to the valley bottom and back.

Allow 3-4 hours. Bring suitable clothing and footwear. If you wish to attend please email or phone walk leader Stephen Holley (buddy32yp@gmail.com or 01752 880029).

Upper Newleycombe Valley Walk23.07.17 Upper Newleycombe Valley Walk
Export (iCal)
Start: 10:30 o’clockEnd: 17:00 o’clock
Calendar: GeneralLocation: Whiteworks, Dartmoor
 
 

Meet at SX 604 708 (before Whiteworks car park). Approx. 4 hour walk, approx. 3 miles.

This walk is a continuation of the earlier Lower Newleycombe tin mines walk last year. This time we start from the top of the valley and look at the lode-back pits, shafts and inclines on Chance Hill that lead to the old Wheal Chance dressing floor, looking at some interesting remains on the way. We then explore the rather spectacular open works at Willabeam and a reservoir above, then down to the whim plat near Cramber and on down to the rather mysterious longitudinal reservoir and possible tin mill by the brook, and back up the valley past the East Hughes remains and a cache. Bring lunch. Some rough ground and small leaps across the stream, but no boggy ground!

Walk Leader: David Eeles

 
Walk Lyd and Doe Brook01.06.17 Walk Lyd and Doe Brook
Export (iCal)
Start: 10:30 o’clockEnd: 17:00 o’clock
Calendar: GeneralLocation: Dartmoor Inn, Lydford
Leader: 1Members: 1

Meet at High Down SX 52495 85288 - via lane behind pub.  Walk to visit Doetor Brook & Upper Lyd - possibly inc. Wheal Emma Mary & Wheal Fredrick (Foxholes) - to look at tinners' buildings and several caches, a reservoir and stream works. Approx. 8 miles (not checked actual distance).

Walk Leader: Murray Oates

Participate Participate  
WWI Tin and Wolfram Mine, Kit Hill14.05.17 WWI Tin and Wolfram Mine, Kit Hill
Export (iCal)
Start: 11:00 o’clockEnd: 17:00 o’clock
Calendar: GeneralLocation: Callington, Cornwall
 
 

Duchy of Cornwall WWI Tin and Wolfram Mine, Kit Hill The Duchy opened this mine in January 1916 as part of their war effort; Dines suggests that it closed in 1921. While there was later exploration on the hill, the Duchy mine was the last working to go into production. We will be looking at the archaeological evidence on the eastern slopes of Kit Hill, within the Country Park, and, with the permission of the landowner, some features outside the Park.

Start: Adit car park, Kit Hill (GR 380 714 second on left)
Allow 3-4 hours. Bring a packed lunch, and suitable clothing and footwear.

Walk Leader: Stephen Docksey

 

 
Back to module overview
The Online Management System for Associations, Groups and Organizations   © 2004 - 2016  Admidio Team